Posted by Boss Hog: Credit Halfbakedharvest.com on Nov 15th 2022
Sweet and Savory Cheesy Bacon Wrapped Puff Pastry Twists are a 5 star appetizer for Thanksgiving or any event. They’re quick, easy, and everyone loves them. Flaky puff pastry twisted with cheese, wrapped in crispy bacon, then tossed in a rosemary brown sugar offers the perfect combination of flavors. Bake in the oven until the bacon is crisp and “candied”. Sure to be a hit with the crowd at your next gathering.
- 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, as you prefer
- kosher salt and black pepper.
- 2 sheets (1 box) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or a mix of your preferred cheeses)
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (optional)
- 12 sticks of thick bacon, halved
- 1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil and place a wire rack on top. Rub each rack lightly with olive oil.
- 2. In a shallow bowl, combine the brown sugar, rosemary, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- 3. Place both sheets of pastry on a lightly floured counter. Brush the surface of each with a beaten egg. Evenly sprinkle about 1/2 cup of cheese over each sheet, then sprinkle with cayenne. Dust a rolling pin lightly with flour and roll it over the cheese, gently pressing the cheese into the pastry. Fold the pastry in half, then cut each into twelve 1/2 inch wide strips. Pinch the ends to seal, then gently twist each strip several times to enclose the cheese. It's ok if some of the cheese falls out.
- 4. Take a piece of bacon and wrap it around the twisted pastry. Repeat with the remaining twists. Dredge the twist through the brown sugar mix, tossing to coat, placing the twist on the prepared baking sheet as you go.
- 5. Bake 30 to 50 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. Due to variability in oven temperatures, start checking the twists at around 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.