Posted by Boss Hog - Credit: Kitchensanctuary.com on Sep 29th 2022
A simple and popular family dinner, this creamy, cheesy pasta with sausage and crispy bacon will be a hit with any bacon and pasta lovers. This fantastic comfort food dinner is made with simple everyday ingredients. You can add mushrooms, peppers and peas to step 6 along with the onion depending on your preference.
Serves 4-6 people
- 16 oz. Pasta - use your favorite type of pasta. Fusilli is pictured here, but rigatoni or penne also work great.
- Four Sausage links, slice them into nice chunky pieces.
- 8 strips of quality Bacon - remember this, along with the sausage, will be the star of the show
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese- a nice strong cheddar for the best flavor.
- 3/4 cup heavy cream for a delicious rich, sauce.
- 1 Onion - Fry the onions in the bacon fat. Because we are bacon freaks and that's what it's for.
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Place the sausages on a baking sheet and place in the oven to cook for about 20 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Then remove from the oven and place on a chopping board.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling water as per the cooking instructions, until al dente, then drain in a colander, reserving about a cup of the pasta cooking water.
- While the pasta and sausages are cooking; fry the bacon for about 5-6 minutes, turning during cooking, until browned and crispy. Remove from the pan and place on a chopping board.
- Add the tablespoon of oil to the bacon fat that’s already in the frying pan.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the onion has softened.
- By now the pasta should be ready (remember to save a cup of the pasta water when draining the pasta). Add the drained pasta to the frying pan with the onion.
- Add the cheese, cream and pepper to the pan and stir together with the pasta until the cheese has melted.
- Slice the cooked sausages and bacon on the chopping board and add to the pan with the pasta.
- Stir everything together.
- If you want the sauce thinner, add splashes of the pasta cooking water until the sauce is to your liking.
- Transfer the pasta to bowls and serve topped with fresh parsley and a little more black pepper if you like.